Celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito showed the ladies of “The Real” how to put a healthy twist on a classic burger with 1/3 the calories, and now you can too! Check out the recipe from Rocco’s "Pound a Day Diet"!
RD'S BIG BURGER WITH ALL THE FIXIN'S
1 cup puffed rice
1/4 cup cold water
12 ounces 96% lean ground beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sugar ketchup
4 1/2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
4 low-calorie hamburger buns
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: About 3 minutes
Cooking time: About 3 minutes
In a food processor, process the puffed rice until it’s broken up, about 10 seconds. Add the water and mix until all the water is absorbed into the rice, about 20 seconds. Add the ground beef and process until evenly incorporated. Working on squares of wax paper, form the mixture into 4 patties about 5 inches in diameter and season the tops with salt and pepper.
Spray a large, nonstick skillet with 2 seconds of cooking spray and place over high heat. Turn the patties into the skillet, peel the paper off the top of each petty, and season with salt and pepper. Brown each side until cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, mix the ketchup and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside. Place each patty on a bun, top each patty evenly with the sauce, choose your toppings (see below), and serve.
• If you like your buns toasted, place the buns cut side down in the skillet before you cook the patties.
• Keep the patties cold before cooking; they’ll be easier to handle.
• Use unsalted chicken stock instead of the water for a little flavor boost.
Make it personalized with these health-friendly options:
• Up to 8 slices dill hamburger pickles for 0 calories
• Iceberg lettuce leaves for only 1 calorie per whole leaf
• Fresh tomato slices for 3 calories per slice
• 1 slice of fat-free cheese for 25 calories
215 calories, 4.5 fat (1.5g), 47mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 22g protein
For more info on Rocco DiSpirito, check out his book “The Pound a Day Diet” and his website poundadaydiet.com.