Freddy is obsessed with pho soup, and lucky for you, Jeannie is sharing her original recipe! Wow your man in the kitchen this Valentine’s Day with Jeannie’s impressive Vietnamese dish!
4 pounds beef soup bones
1 onion, unpeeled and cut in half
6 slices fresh ginger
2 pods star anise
2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 quarts water
1 (8 ounce) package dried rice noodles
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin, sliced thin
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tablespoon chopped green onion
1 cup bean sprouts
1 bunch Thai basil
2 limes, cut into wedges
Salt to taste
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• Place beef bones on a baking sheet and roast in the pre-heated oven for about an hour, until browned.
• Roast the onion on a baking sheet in the oven until blackened and soft. This should take about 45 minutes.
• In a large saucepan, place bones, onion, ginger, star anise, fish sauce and salt. Then cover with 4 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
• Once water starts to boil, reduce to low heat. This should simmer on low for 10 hours. Strain the broth and put off to the side.
• Soak the rice noodles in large bowl filled with room temperature water for one hour. Then, cook them in boiling water for about one minute. When done, simmer over the soup stock.
• Put noodles in each bowl and top in this order: meat, cilantro, green onion. Then, pour hot broth over the top – the heat will cook the meat right in the bowl! After 1-2 minutes the meat will be partially cooked but no longer pink, however, you can let it cook longer if desired.
• Last, top with your choice of toppings – Jeannie uses bean sprouts, Thai basil, lime, hoisin sauce and Sriracha. Enjoy!