Chef La La stopped by to help us celebrate Cinco de Mayo in a big way, and now you can turn up your fiesta with her fabulous dishes! Check below for her Pork and Plum Kabobs recipe!
Pork and Plum Kabobs - Serves 8
2 dried chiles negros
2 dried ancho or pasilla chiles
6 tomatillos, peeled
3 garlic cloves
1/2 medium onion
1/4 cup almonds, slivered, peeled
1 cup water
3 black plums, ripe but firm, pitted and diced
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into large pieces
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 black plums, ripe but firm, each cut into 6 wedges
8 wooden skewers
1. Toast chiles in skillet or on griddle. (Be careful not to burn them or they will get bitter.)
2. Transfer to medium bowl; cover with hot water and soak until soft, about 30 minutes.
3. Char tomatillos, garlic and onion in skillet.
4. Place drained chiles, tomatillos, almonds, water and plums in blender; puree until smooth. Transfer to large skillet; add sugar and salt. Simmer 20 minutes, covered.
5. Sprinkle pork chunks with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat on all sides, about 1 minute per side. Remove; set aside.
6. Thread skewers with pork and plum. Simmer skewers in chile sauce 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with extra sauce for dipping.