We’re turning up for #MeatlessMonday! The ladies of “The Real” demonstrate how you can make meatless meals, and now it’s your turn to try them at home!
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion sliced
4 large mushrooms, portobello stems and gills removed, sliced
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp. oregano dried
1/4 tsp. black ground pepper
1 tbsp. flour, all-purpose
1/4 cup broth, vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp. soy sauce, less sodium
3 oz provolone cheese
4 whole-wheat bread, split and toasted
• Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
• Add onion and stir often until the onions become soft and brown.
• Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook. Stir often, until the vegetables are soft.
• Reduce heat to low; then mix in flour and stir in broth and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer. Then remove from the heat.
• Place cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let it sit until melted.
• Divide the mixture into 4 portions, leaving the melted cheese layer on top.
• Place each portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.