Fitness is more than just exercise. It's a way of life. It's a spirit; an energy you work to maintain every day because you understand the goodness of the healthy things you do for yourself. It's not a competition or a race. It's a journey. It's your journey. Therefore, you are the designer of your fitness story.
If you've ever struggled with weight issues, then you know how difficult it is to get started changing your old ways, but that difficulty has purpose! Change is never easy. Your fitness story needs the challenge of change. Embrace the difficulties and embrace change. Here are some tips to help you get started building your new fitness story:
- Change your mindset. You must let go of old ways of thinking about making healthy changes in your life. Be open to trying new foods. Be open to exercising daily. Be open to doing hard things.
- Change your diet one week at a time. I recommend eating the same healthier foods every day for a week at a time initially, so your body and your mind create a new palate that is more accepting of the new foods.
- Move your body daily. Find an activity or exercise you love. For beginners, walking or Zumba is good to start with, then slowly increase the challenge and add more intense exercises such as boot camp, jumping rope, spin class and running.
- Edit your life mercilessly. Remove toxic people from your life. Don't look back.
- Learn how to shop for healthy foods, then prepare and pack your meals for each day. This way you control your calories, carbs, sugar and fat intake.
- Invest in yourself and hire a fitness coach. Fitness coaches bring out the best in you and encourage you to challenge yourself.
Chaunda is the owner of The Bella Fitness Group in Lawrenceville, GA. She has lost over 115 pounds and is now a passionate Fitness Advocate, NASM Certified Personal Trainer and a professional singer. Visit her on the web at bellafitnessgroup.com.