[[video]] Watch as Jeannie is surprised by one of her favorite celebrity chefs… Katie Chin! They’re cooking up a delicious dish of her signature Famous Pineapple Fried Rice. Get the recipe below!
Chef Katie’s Famous Pineapple Fried Rice
Serves: 4-6 as part of a multi-course meal
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 whole pineapple
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt, divided
Pinch of ground white pepper
2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small shallot, ﬁnely sliced
1 fresh hot red or green chili, preferably Thai (de-seeded if you prefer less heat), ﬁnely sliced
3 cups (450 g) cooked and chilled Thai jasmine rice
2 tablespoons ﬁsh sauce (nam pla)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 cup (150 g) cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup (150 g) cubed cooked shrimp
½ cup (73 g) fresh or thawed frozen peas
4 tablespoons ﬁnely chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) plus more for garnish
4 tablespoons ﬁnely chopped fresh mint
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise and cut the fruit from the middle, leaving shell halves intact. Cut out the eyes and core. Set the shell halves aside. Dice the fruit. Dry the diced pineapple with paper towels and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and the pinch of pepper.
- Heat 1/2 of the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook eggs, stirring, until set but still moist. Transfer eggs to a plate. Wash and thoroughly dry the wok or skillet.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, shallots and chili and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the ﬁsh sauce, soy sauce, chicken, shrimp, peas, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Add the reserved eggs, pineapple, fresh coriander leaves, and mint; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Scoop the fried rice into the pineapple shells and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Cook's Note: If you dice the pineapple ahead of time, rinse the pineapple shells with boiling water and dry with paper towels before serving.