It’s officially October, and Halloween is just around the corner! Here are three delicious pumpkin-centric recipes to get you into the fall spirit.
Fluffy Pumpkin Cake
1 pint melted pumpkin ice cream
2 cups self-rising flour
3 cups marshmallow fluff
• Beat 1 pint melted pumpkin ice cream with 2 cups self-rising flour.
• Scrape into a greased and floured 8-inch cake pan and bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
• Pop out of pan and cool on rack to room temperature.
• Frost with 3 cups marshmallow Fluff, then toast the Fluff with a culinary torch (optional).
• If a culinary torch isn’t available, toast in oven broiler for 3-5 min. Keep an eye on it – it toasts very quickly.
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (can use peach yogurt for a sweeter smoothie)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons honey
2/3 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh – fresh recipe below)
1 cup ice
For pumpkin puree:
• Take 1 pumpkin, cut open and scrape out the seeds.
• Cut into slices, and put in a bowl of water and microwave for 20 minutes.
• Then scoop pumpkin meat out of shell and place to the side to let it cool.
• Add ingredients to blender in the order listed, and blend until smooth.
• If smoothie is too thick, add milk; if too thin add more ice.
• Taste and add more spice as needed.
Pumpkin Pickled Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
• Add salt and pepper to 4 chicken breasts to taste.
• Mix together cayenne pepper, ground ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, smoked paprika, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and honey.
• Toss in your chicken, and let marinate overnight.
• Once that’s marinated, roast under broiler for 7 minutes on each side.
• Bake at 400º for 40 minutes, then enjoy.