Check out these delicious soups, perfect for the cold weather and cozying up by the fire!
French Mushroom Soup
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 small carrot
1 lb mushrooms
1 small onion
2 small tomatoes
5 cups water
2 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth)
• Chop the onion, leek, carrot and mushrooms, and sauté.
• Add the water, vegetable broth and chopped tomatoes.
• Add a bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste.
• Bring soup to a boil and let simmer until the carrots soften.
• Stir in the milk before serving.
Asian Noodle Soup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, peeled 2 cups water
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 ounces uncooked pasta
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt, to taste
Red chili pepper flakes
• Sauté garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in an oiled skilled for about three minutes.
• Add broth and water, and bring to a boil.
• Then pop in the chicken and pasta, and cook until chicken is done.
• Take off heat, and stir in the other ingredients.
• Let stand 5 minutes, toss the lemongrass before eating.
• Tip: For extra firm noodles, cook them before adding to the soup!
Cheese Beer Soup
Vegetable oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups beer (use your favorite!)
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
1 lb sausage link, cut into 6-8 pieces
• Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, but not browned.
• Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add butter and stir until melted. Stir in flour, and stir while cooking until beginning to turn golden brown.
• Whisk in broth, beer, and cream, and bring to a boil.
• Then reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10-15 minutes.
• Then reduce the heat to low, and whisk in cheese a handful at a time, and mix to combine. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes to ensure cheese is melted.
• Transfer soup to a blender and purée until smooth.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Then, take a sausage and cut it into pieces. Heat oil in a pan and cook sausages, until browned and crisp.
• Add sausage to soup and serve.