In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, find out how to make some of your favorite Latin dishes with half the calories! Check out Chef LaLa's delicious chicken enchiladas and paella recipes that you can enjoy without the guilt!
Green Chicken Enchiladas
1 pound tomatillos, peeled
2 garlic cloves
1/4 small onion
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless cooked chicken breasts, shredded
6 ounces cotija cheese or feta cheese
1 cup canola or vegetable oil 20 corn tortillas
6 ounces queso fresco or Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded cilantro (optional)
1. Make enchilada sauce by placing tomatillos in small saucepan; add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. Strain tomatillos and discard cooking liquid. Place tomatillos in blender or food processor with garlic, onion, cilantro and broth; purée until smooth.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add flour and stir until brown. Add enchilada sauce to skillet. Stir to combine. Lower heat and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In mixing bowl, combine chicken, cotija cheese and 3 tablespoons enchilada sauce.
3. Heat 1 cup oil in medium skillet. Dip each tortilla, one at a time, in oil until soft (about 10 seconds). Place tortillas on baking pan. Spoon one-fourth chicken and cheese mixture into tortilla. Roll up tortilla; place seam-side down into skillet.
4. Cover enchiladas with warm sauce. Top with queso fresco. Heat over medium heat 5 minutes or until warm. Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately. Makes 20 enchiladas.
Tip from Chef LaLa: Cut calories by heating tortillas on griddle instead of dipping in oil. Add sauce just before serving to prevent tortillas from becoming soggy. This recipe works well with leftover chicken.
Healthy Paella Recipe
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2teaspoon saffron powder
1/2lb chicken breast; skinless, boneless, thin slices
2 cups paella rice (or calrose rice), rinsed thoroughly
1/2 medium red Onion, thinly sliced
1 medium red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
5 cups unsalted Chicken Stock
1 teaspoon Salt
1 dash black Pepper
1 pound small Manila Clams, washed thoroughly
1/2 pound jumbo Shrimp; peeled, deveined and tail-on
1. Heat large roast pan over medium-high heat. Spray evenly with cooking oil.
2. Add olive oil, garlic and saffron to pan; reduce heat to medium. Cook until about 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken to pan and cook for 5 minutes; add rice and continue to cook for additional 5 minutes.
4. Add onion, bell peppers, and bell peppers and stir all ingredients for 3 minutes.
5. Pour chicken stock, salt and black pepper; cover and bring to a boil (about 10 minutes).
6. Uncover and stir once. Add clams and shrimp to rice. Cover and cook for additional 5 minutes.
7. Serve immediately.