Don’t let the cold weather get you down! In honor of National Soup Month, check out this yummy recipe to help you stay warm from the inside out. It’s time to get Souped-Up!
CHEESE BEER SOUP
Vegetable oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups beer (use your favorite!)
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
1 lb sausage link, cut into 6–8 pieces
• Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft but not browned.
• Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add butter and stir until melted. Stir in flour and stir while cooking until beginning to turn golden brown.
• Whisk in broth, beer, and cream, and bring to a boil.
• Then reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10–15 minutes.
• Then reduce the heat to low and whisk in cheese a handful at a time, and mix to combine. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes to ensure cheese is melted.
• Transfer soup to a blender and purée until smooth.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Then, take a sausage and cut it into pieces. Heat oil in a pan and cook sausages, until browned and crisp.
• Add sausage to soup and serve.