Don’t let the cold weather get you down! In honor of National Soup Month, check out these yummy recipes to help you stay warm from the inside out. It’s time to get Souped-Up!
Asian Noodle Soup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, peeled
2 cups water
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 ounces uncooked pasta
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt, to taste
Red chili pepper flakes
1. Sautee garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in an oiled skilled for about three minutes.
2. Add broth and water, and bring to a boil.
3. Then pop in the chicken and pasta and cook until chicken is done.
4. Take off heat and stir in the other ingredients.
5. Let stand 5 minutes, toss the lemongrass before eating.
6. Tip: For extra firm noodles, cook them before adding to the soup!
Cheese Beer Soup
Vegetable oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups beer (use your favorite!)
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
1 lb sausage link, cut into 6–8 pieces
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft but not browned.
2. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add butter and stir until melted. Stir in flour and stir while cooking until beginning to turn golden brown.
3. Whisk in broth, beer, and cream, and bring to a boil.
4. Then reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10–15 minutes.
5. Then reduce the heat to low and whisk in cheese a handful at a time, and mix to combine. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes to ensure cheese is melted.
6. Transfer soup to a blender and purée until smooth.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Then, take a sausage and cut it into pieces. Heat oil in a pan and cook sausages, until browned and crisp.
9. Add sausage to soup and serve.
French Mushroom Soup
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 small carrot
1 lb mushrooms
1 small onion
2 small tomatoes
5 cups water
2 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth)
1. Chop the onion, leek, carrot and mushrooms and sauté.
2. Add the water, vegetable broth and chopped tomatoes.
3. Add a bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bring soup to a boil and let simmer until the carrots soften.
5. Stir in the milk before serving.