There are lots of things to do with pickles that go way beyond hamburgers and hot dogs. Pickles are making a comeback, so step your game up with this creative recipe!
SIZZLING PICKLE SOUP
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium potatoes, cubed
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup pickle brine
8 dill pickle spears, diced + extra for garnish
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill + extra for garnish
• Heat olive oil in a pot with a lid. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
• Add the potatoes, chicken stock and pickle brine to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil.
• Once mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
• Pour the soup in a blender. Make sure to remove the middle piece from the lid, and cover with a towel to allow steam to escape while blending. You can also use an immersion blender to puree.
• Once blended to your liking, return the soup to the pot. Stir in the pickles and dill.
• Then cook for another 5 minutes united heated through. Garnish and serve immediately.