We’re showing you healthier alternatives to your favorite holiday foods… it’s the Holiday Hunger Hotline!
Check out this healthy and yummy recipe below!
CRANBERRY APPLE CORNBREAD STUFFING
3/4 cup cream of corn
1/3 cup liquid eggs
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal (yellow)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
5 slices wheat bread
1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 chopped large sweet red apple
1 chopped red onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
• Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a deep pan with nonstick spray and set it aside.
• In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt). Mix well and set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine corn, liquid eggs, and yogurt. Whisk thoroughly. Add mixture to the large bowl and stir until completely mixed.
• Pour batter into the pan and bake in the oven for about 26 minutes, until done, check with a toothpick inserted into the stuffing. The center should come out clean.
• Allow cornbread to cool completely. For faster cooling, remove it from the pan once slightly cooled.
• Set oven temperature to 350 degrees. Spray a 13" x 9" baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
• Take a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add apples, onion, celery, and garlic. Stirring until softened, for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
• Lightly toast bread slices. Meanwhile, chop cranberries and add to the large bowl. Tear toasted bread into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl as well.
• Crumble cornbread into pieces and add to the bowl. Add broth and spices, and gently stir to combine. Transfer contents to the baking pan.
• Bake in the oven until firm, 35 - 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!