Kevin Hart Announces He's Stepping Down as Oscar Host

Kevin Hart has announced he’s stepping down as Oscar host, just days after telling fans he accepted the gig.

After his role as host was revealed, a series of controversial tweets and jokes made years ago resurfaced on social media.

The comedian, 39, addressed the controversy in two Instagram videos, and asked people to stop “looking for reasons to be negative.”

Just hours later, he shocked his fans when he revealed he was no longer going to host the 91st ceremony.

"I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscars,” he wrote on Twitter late Thursday. "This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past. I'm sorry that I hurt people... I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”

In an earlier message, Kevin told his 66 million Instagram followers that he’d grown and evolved since then, and now he’s in “a great mature place.”

“My team calls me, ‘Oh my God, Kevin, the world is upset about tweets you did years ago.’ Oh my God. Guys, I’m almost 40 years old,” he said. “If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain the past, then do you. I’m the wrong guy, man. I’m in a great place. A great mature place where all I do is spread positivity."

Real fam, what do you think about Kevin stepping down?

Comments