Breonna Taylor’s Family Is ‘Hopeful’ After Meeting with Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron

The family of Breonna Taylor, the EMT who was fatally shot on March 13 in her Louisville, Kentucky, apartment by three white police officers, is “hopeful” that justice will be served following a meeting with Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron.

The Louisville Courier-Journal reports that on Wednesday, Cameron's office and Taylor’s family attorney Sam Aguiar said that Cameron met with Taylor's mother Tamika Palmer, as well as Taylor’s sister, aunt, and lawyers in a meeting that he initiated.

Another one of Taylor’s family lawyers, Lonita Baker, said at a press conference Thursday that the meeting was the first time Cameron personally spoke with the family.

In a statement posted to Cameron’s Twitter on Wednesday, the meeting provided an opportunity for Cameron “to personally express his condolences to the family.”

“The investigation remains ongoing, and our office of Special Prosecutions continues to review all the facts in the case to determine the truth,” the statement added.

Per The Louisville Courier-Journal, Palmer said in a statement that Cameron "seemed sincere and genuine” and that she is "more confident" that the "truth will come out and that justice will be served."

"We let him know how important it was for their office to get all the facts, to get the truth and to get justice for Breonna," Palmer said. "We all deserve to know the whole truth behind what happened to my daughter.

"The Attorney General committed to getting us the truth. We're going to hold him up to that commitment."

On Thursday, TMZ added that Taylor’s family is “hopeful justice will be served” as Cameron “showed a real interest in Breonna and her mom.”

The outlet reported that Cameron was well-versed on the case and asked a lot of questions about Taylor.

However, Palmer said in her statement that she did not know which direction Cameron is leaning, in regard to whether he will charge Sgt. Jon Mattingly, Detective Myles Cosgrove, and former officer Brett Hankison for the crimes.

Aguiar told WHAS11 that Cameron said he still needs to re-interview witnesses. Additionally, in a statement obtained by WHAS11, Cameron’s office said they are awaiting “additional testing and analysis from federal partners, including a ballistics test from the FBI crime lab."

"These ballistics and labs are important and we understand the delay and the need for them, but it's frustrating that the police basically wasted two months investigating themselves in what was clearly a one-sided manner," Aguiar said in a statement. "Had this case been turned over right away for an independent investigation, like it should have, then the testing would be complete and we wouldn't be needing to wait for re-interviews right now where these officers actually get asked what they should've been asked to begin with."

Despite this, The Louisville Courier-Journal on Thursday reported that Ben Crump, another attorney for Taylor's family, said he was confident that charges will be brought against the officers involved "sooner rather than later."

"We expect, hopefully before 200 days [since Taylor was killed], charges to happen,” Crump was quoted saying.

Though Hankison was terminated from the Louisville Metro Police Department in June, Mattingly and Cosgrove remain employed.


More In Real Talk