Rachael Ray Reveals Details of Devastating House Fire
Instagram

Rachael Ray is opening up about the August 9 fire that destroyed her two-story Lake Luzerne house.

Per Newsday, on Monday’s season premiere of “The Rachael Ray Show,” the host revealed that the cause of the fire was from creosote caked inside her chimney. Additionally, “a fire ember fell on the roof.”

The Food Network personality said that prior to the fire, she was “going to make a big pasta dinner for” her husband John Cusimano, who had just played a bad game of golf. (In August, TMZ reported that the two were at a charity golf event earlier that day.)

In addition to the meal, Rachael decided to “start a fire” in the fireplace as John was changing upstairs.

“He’ll see the pasta water going, the sauce is bubbling, this will make a nice evening,” she said.

However, a man who was on an ATV came running through their backyard, telling the couple, “Your roof is on fire!… Hey, you guys! Hey, you guys!”

After realizing that their roof was in fact on fire, Ray went upstairs in an attempt to grab valuables.

“I ran upstairs to get medicine, my notebooks, my mother’s high school ring. You know, things that when your house is burning down you don’t want to leave. But when I ran to the top of the stairs, I could hear the fire in the wall,” she recounted.

“So I immediately turned to run out and there was a… firefighter standing literally next to me. ‘Get out! Get out!’ I’m like, ‘I’m trying! I’m trying!’… And we ran down the stairs. John was coming up the stairs as we were going down the stairs, and I said, ‘You can’t go in there!’”

Fortunately, the couple and their dog Bella were not harmed in the incident.

The family, sadly, did lose a number of prized possessions, including, “so many books that were special to us, and letters and notes. Of course, my life’s work — notebooks that date back decades… John lost all of his music charts, going back decades.”

Prior to the episode, the show’s Instagram account posted photos and a video that detailed the aftermath of the August fire.

“This was our bedroom, and our library,” Rachael says amid video of the destruction. “And that was our bathroom and our dressing area.”

On Monday, Rachael and John shared a special message to their fans, thanking them for their support during this difficult time.

The two are currently staying at their guesthouse, which is where Rachael is filming her daytime show.

Comments

More In Real Talk