Breonna Taylor's Boyfriend Is ‘a Million Percent Sure’ Police Did Not Identify Themselves
CBS This Morning

Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend Kenneth Walker remains adamant that Louisville, Kentucky, police did not identify themselves before the fatal shooting that claimed Taylor’s life.

In an interview with “CBS This Morning” that aired Wednesday, Walker revisited the night of March 13, when officers Brett Hankison, Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove executed a search warrant in a drug case connected to Taylor's ex-boyfriend, Jamarcus Glover.

Though police claimed they identified themselves before entering the apartment, Walker has consistently told a different story.

"I'm a million percent sure that nobody identified themselves," Walker told host Gayle King. "If they had knocked on the door and say who it was, we could hear them. It was dead-silent."

Before the shooting, Walker said he and Taylor had a “normal day,” one in which they “went on a date, we went out to eat.” The couple then went back home to watch a movie.

Later that night, Walker said he heard "a loud bang at the door."

"Nobody was responding, and we were saying 'Who is it?' You know," Walker recounted, saying he and Taylor repeated the phrase several times but got no answer.

Feeling "deathly afraid," Walker said he and Taylor got up to put on clothes to make themselves "decent to answer the door."

"Then I grab my gun," Walker, a licensed gun owner, said.

"If it was the police at the door and they just said, 'We're the police," me or Breonna didn't have a reason at all not to open the door to see what they wanted," he added.

After the door flew off its hinges, Walker said he fired a single shot, claiming he and Taylor thought they were victims of a home invasion.

The three officers fired a total of 32 shots into the apartment, with at least five of them striking Taylor.

Walker said he held Taylor's hand during the gunfire when he heard her scream.

"I pulled her down to the ground. But, you know, she was scared so she just didn't get down," he remembered.

After the gunfire stopped, Walker said Taylor was alive and bleeding. He called his mother as he held her.

"I told her that somebody just kicked in the door and shot Breonna. And she's freaking out at this point. But she told me to call 911. So I did," Walker said.

However, Walker said he would not have called 911 if he knew police were at the door.

Walker said he later hung up on 911 and called Taylor’s mother.

"I don't think I realized that it was the police until I was on the phone with Breonna's mom," Walker said. "I thought they was, you know, coming for help. 'Cause I called 911."

Walker later learned Taylor had died of her injuries only from the news.

"I was in the cell and it was, like, on the news… And they said one, you know, ‘Female dead,’" he said.

Though Walker was initially charged with attempted murder of a police officer, those charges have since been dropped.

Despite Walker’s claims that the police never identified themselves, Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron said in a September press conference that “the officers’ statements about their announcement are corroborated by an independent witness who was near in a proximity to apartment four.”

“In other words, the warrant was not served as a no-knock warrant,” Cameron added.

A grand jury also declined to file murder charges in Taylor’s killing, and instead charged Hankison with three counts of wanton endangerment for firing into a nearby apartment.

Hankison, who was terminated from the Louisville Metro Police Department in June, has pleaded not guilty.


More In Real Talk

Real Talk Thursday, April 15

The Demand for Action in the Shooting Death of Daunte Wright

Daunte Wright’s death at the hands of officer Kim Potter has led to protests around Minnesota and has many people speaking out, including former President Barack Obama. Calling for accountability and transparency, Mr. Obama’s statement echoes what many feel about another Black person gunned down by police.