3 Adults & 1 Child Killed in Argument over $1,400 Stimulus Check, Court Documents Say
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department

A man allegedly fatally shot three adults and a child after arguing with his girlfriend over her $1,400 stimulus check, court documents say.

Per a press release from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, officers were dispatched Saturday to 253 N. Randolph St. in response to reports of a person shot.

When officers arrived, they found a woman, later identified as beauty supply shop employee Jeanettrius Moore, with injuries consistent with a gunshot wound. Moore was later transported to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition.

Per the victim’s family, boyfriend and suspect Malik Halfacre allegedly demanded that Moore give him half of her COVID-19 relief payment.

“He wanted some of Jeanettrius’ tax money, stimulus money,” Moore’s cousin Wendy Johnson told CBS4. “She had just got her money, and he wanted half of her money.”

A day before the alleged attack, Johnson said Moore told her that she refused to give Halfacre the money.

“She said, ‘No, you don’t deserve any of this. I work. I take care of our child. You don’t do anything,’” Johnson said.

After Moore reportedly agreed to give Halfacre $450, telling him he could “take it or leave it,” Halfacre was apparently still dissatisfied, threatening he was “gonna get that money.”

The following evening, Johnson said Halfacre returned and allegedly went through Moore’s purse.

“Malik came back in the house asking, ‘Where’s the money?’” Johnson said.

According to Newsweek, an injured Moore directed police to a home one block away at 338 N. Randolph St. Inside, officers discovered the bodies of 7-year-old Eve Moore, 23-year-old Daquan Moore, 35-year-old Anthony Johnson and 44-year-old Tomeeka Brown, who all had injuries consistent with gunshot wounds.

All four victims were later pronounced deceased.

Johnson claimed that Daquan, Moore’s brother, was allegedly shot by Halfacre for attempting to stand up for his sister.

“Daquan was trying to save his sister. He was taking up for his sister,” Johnson said. “He stood up and said, ‘You cannot have the money. You cannot have her money.’ That’s what she said and pushed Malik, and Malik pulled out the gun and just started killing everybody.”

“He shot Daquan first. He shot Anthony. He turned around, and he shot my Auntie Tomeeka. My Auntie Tomeeka said, ‘Malik!’ and he shot her again,” Johnson alleged, adding, “He came back and shot Daquan for the second time and somewhere between little baby Eve got hit somewhere and she was screaming, she was screaming.”

Per an affidavit obtained by ABC News, Moore identified Halfacre as the suspect and alleged he took the couple’s 6-month-old daughter Malia when he fled.

The police report said investigation detectives learned that Halfacre allegedly fled in a 2012 Chevrolet Impala bearing Indiana In God We Trust license plate number CJA272.

Early Sunday, detectives found Malia, safe and unharmed.

Later that day, SWAT responded to the 6200 block of Eastridge Drive and eventually apprehended Halfacre, who was reportedly hiding in the attic. He was soon arrested in connection to the murders.

Per Newsweek, IMPD Deputy Chief of Investigations Craig McCartt corroborated part of the victims’ family’s story and confirmed the alleged shooting came at the end of a dispute.

“We just know that there was an argument there that escalated to the point where he pulled out his weapon and started shooting everyone there in the home,” McCartt told reporters at a Monday morning press conference.

The affidavit obtained by ABC News also says that Halfacre told police that he and Moore “were arguing because he wanted some of her stimulus check.”

“Mr. Halfacre admitted to shooting all of the deceased individuals in the house,” the affidavit read, adding that Halfacre allegedly told police that after “everyone was shot, he took the money,” his girlfriend’s purse, and his girlfriend’s car.

Citing court documents, ABC News says Halfacre was charged with murder, attempted murder, and robbery.

He is due in court on March 18. It is not clear whether he has retained an attorney.


More In Real Talk