Killed Uber Eats Driver Remembered After Fatal Carjacking

Social media is rallying around a deceased Uber Eats driver who was killed after two teenage girls allegedly attempted to steal his car.

As reported by NBC Washington last week, the Metropolitan Police Department say two girls, ages 13 and 15, were charged with felony murder and armed carjacking after they allegedly used a Taser on Uber Eats driver Mohammad Anwar, 66, near Nationals Park.

In a shocking video that was captured by a witness and posted by TMZ on Sunday, Anwar is seen getting into a struggle with the girls and is heard saying, “This is my car!”

As Anwar hangs out the front door of the vehicle, the teenagers appear to floor the gas pedal and strike something on the sidewalk.

However, the car continues to move until it is heard crashing.

When the witness runs toward the crash, the car is seen overturned as Anwar lies on the pavement wounded.

The juveniles, whose names have yet to be released, were detained at the scene. Police say the younger girl is from the southeast section of D.C., and the older is from Fort Washington, Maryland.

Per police, Anwar suffered critical, life-threatening injuries and later died at a hospital.

Last week, Lehra Bogino, whose husband is Anwar’s nephew, organized a GoFundMe to raise funds for a traditional Islamic funeral and to assist Anwar’s family with financial support.

In her message, Bogino says Anwar was “a hard-working Pakistani immigrant who came to the United States to create a better life for him and his family.”

“Anwar was a beloved husband, father, grandfather, uncle, and friend who always provided a smile when you needed one. He leaves behind a family, near and far, who cherish, love, and miss him dearly,” she wrote.

“Words can not describe how our family is feeling currently. Devastation, confusion, shock, anger, heartache, and anguish are just a few that come to mind. We will carry him with us always, but it doesn’t take the pain away of losing him so tragically and so unexpectedly soon.”

As of this writing, the page has raised over $780,000.

Anwar’s family told NBC Washington that he is survived by a wife and two adult children in the U.S., and an adult son and four grandchildren in Pakistan.

The outlet reported last week that the suspects appeared in juvenile court Wednesday. Their attorneys entered pleas of not involved and requested their release.

Our condolences go out to Mohammed’s family and loved ones for their loss.


More In Real Talk