Protests Erupt in Minneapolis After Police Fatally Shoot Black Man at Traffic Stop

Protesters stormed the streets of Minneapolis Sunday after police fatally shot a Black man at a traffic stop.

Per a Sunday police report from the Brooklyn Center Police Department, cops pulled over Duante Wright, 20, in the 6300 block of Orchid Ave. just before 2 p.m. that day.

At one point, police say Wright exited his vehicle.

After cops discovered that Wright had an outstanding warrant, officers attempted to take him into custody. However, the report claims Wright had re-entered his vehicle.

That’s when one officer discharged his firearm, striking Wright. The vehicle then drove several blocks before crashing into another car. Wright died at the scene.

According to officials, a female passenger in Wright’s vehicle, later identified by family as Wright’s girlfriend, sustained non-life-threatening injuries during the crash and was transported to North Memorial Health Hospital for treatment.

Cops also say that occupants of the other car that was struck were not injured in the incident.

The Brooklyn Center PD say an investigation is underway and that police body cameras and dash cameras were activated during the event.

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz and the victim's family later confirmed that the man killed was Wright. Wright was shot about 10 miles from where George Floyd was killed while being restrained by white police officer Derek Chauvin on May 25, 2020. Chauvin is currently on trial for murder in Floyd’s death.

Per numerous outlets including The Associated Press and The Star Tribune, Daunte's mother, Katie Wright, told reporters that her son called her when he was first pulled over. Katie said her son believed he was stopped for having air fresheners on his rearview mirror.

The outlets also reported that Katie said she heard someone say, "Daunte, don't run," on the phone call before it ended. When she called back a minute later, his girlfriend answered, revealing that Daunte had been shot.

Despite the police report’s claim that Wright was shot after re-entering his vehicle, Katie claims her son was shot before getting back into the car.

On Monday, The AP reported that the officer who fired at Wright intended to use a Taser, not a handgun.

Police Chief Tim Gannon was quoted describing the shooting as “an accidental discharge.”

On Sunday, after news of the shooting went viral, numerous protests erupted over Wright’s death.

In one video, demonstrators are seen jumping and stomping on cop cars.

In a video posted by Times reporter Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs, the journalist says police fired smoke and chemical agents at protesters who were demonstrating near the Brooklyn Center police department.

On Sunday night, Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott imposed a curfew that took place until 6 a.m. the next day.

Despite the chaos, Katie urged demonstrators at an early protest and vigil to make their efforts peaceful.

“We want justice for Daunte,” she was quoted saying via The Times. “We don’t want it to be about all this violence.”

Our condolences go out to Daunte’s family and loved ones for their loss.


More In Real Talk