North Carolina Officers on Leave After Fatal Police Shooting of Andrew Brown Jr.

Seven North Carolina officers are on leave after the fatal police shooting of Andrew Brown Jr.

As reported by ABC News, last Wednesday, Brown was shot and killed by a sheriff’s deputy at approximately 8:30 a.m. EST after authorities attempted to execute a search warrant at his home in Elizabeth City.

CBS News reported over the weekend that Brown was shot in the back and killed as he was trying to drive away. The New York Times adds that the 42-year-old did not appear to be holding a weapon and was driving away from the deputies when they continued shooting.

ABC News reports that Brown's family said police found no weapons nor drugs in Brown's vehicle or home.

On Monday, the Carolina Public Press reported that the search warrant — applied for by investigator D. Ryan Meads and signed off by Superior Court Judge Jerry R. Tillett — shows officers were looking for drugs, specifically crack cocaine, in the house and two vehicles.

In the application, Meads says he received information from Dare County agent, R.D. Johnson, who received information from a confidential informant who claimed to have purchased drugs from Brown on several occasions for more than a year.

On Sunday, CBS News reported that seven North Carolina Pasquotank County Sheriff's Office deputies were placed on leave following the incident.

The next day, The Times reported that Brown Jr.’s family and family attorney Chantel Cherry-Lassiter were shown a 20-second clip of the police bodycam footage inside the Pasquotank County government building that afternoon.

However, Cherry-Lassiter said the footage did not show the “execution” of Brown, who she said was sitting inside his car, hands “firmly on the wheel,” when shots ran.

"Andrew had his hands on his steering wheel. He was not reaching for anything. He wasn't touching anything," Cherry-Lassiter said.

"He had his hands firmly on the steering wheel. They run up to his vehicle shooting. He still stood there, sat there in his vehicle, with his hands on the steering wheel while being shot at."

Per ABC News, Pasquotank County Sheriff Tommy Wooten II said he hopes to file a motion asking a judge for permission to release the video to the public.

On Tuesday, lawyers for the Brown family said that based on an independent autopsy report, Andrew died of a “kill shot” to the back of the head.

As reported by WAVY, the independent autopsy revealed that Brown was initially shot four times in the arm, before being struck in the head. NBC News adds that Brown’s family commissioned forensic pathologist Dr. Brent Hall.

At the time of this writing, attorneys say they have received no information from the medical examiner thus far.

Lawyers also say Brown was driving away because he was being shot at by law enforcement, and that he feared for his life.

Harry Daniels, another lawyer for the Brown family, said Andrew leaves behind seven children.

Our condolences go out to Andrew’s family and loved ones for their loss.


More In Real Talk

Real Talk Monday, May 10

D.C. Bans Dancing at Weddings to Ensure COVID-19 Protocols Are in Place

Imagine attending a wedding only to find out there’s been a ban on dancing due to COVID-19 precautions. D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser’s new mandate has brides scrambling to find another city to say “I do” in. Plus, we reveal our favorite, most inexpensive gifts that have nothing to do with their price tag and all about the way they make us feel.